Skip to main content

My brief, torrid affair with bacon...

Upon moving in with my new roommate, Mr Durden, I was told that he was very frugal with all but 3 things:

Bourbon : Maker's Mark or Knob Creek
Coffee: shade grown, organic, fair trade, free range
Bacon: Thick-Sliced Virginia Bacon.

It comes in a 1.5lb. package, and at almost $8.00, it's nothing to sneeze at.

The right bacon makes all the difference, and sub-par bacon is a real shame, according to Mr. Durden.

Before living here, I had never given bacon it's proper respect. I considered it a treat, a throw away side to eggs and pancakes, an occasional addition to my Subway Turkey 12 inch.

He takes it very seriously, considering bacon to be it's own food group. We have a jar or two of drippings, used for cooking almost every one of Mr. Durden's native dishes. My favorite is pilau (pronounced Pur-low), a rice dish with shrimp, sausage and, of course, bacon. Another brilliant and tasty treat is Shrimp and Grits. Bacon drippings and flour combine with sauteed onions and green pepper, add the shrimp (with have been sprinkled with lemon juice, and cayenne pepper and allowed to sit for a few minutes), and served over cheddar grits.

I confess that I have a newfound love of the porky goodness, or maybe it's lust. It really does go with everything, and makes almost any food better. I've crumbled a few slices into bowls of New England Clam Chowder, and added drippings to everything from grits and biscuits to spaghetti sauce, rice and burgers.

Wrap any meat in bacon and you can pan fry it till the cows come home and it won't dry out. (I use this trick with chicken breasts when cooking over the open flame of a camp fire.)

And now we come to the dilemma... My diet advice (read: dodge) has always been: All things in moderation, including moderation.

Sensible eating with any amount of physical activity, and you can be a reasonably healthy person. I don't have a television or a game console, I walk quite a bit, and I don't drink beer (Bourbon has no calories), so I've been mostly guilt free when it comes to my diet...

As with any new lover, the first part of a relationship often involves an over indulgence in all things. I'm coming to the cooling off period with bacon. I still love it, but we'll be spending a little less time together. This is a good thing, as I can be allowed to appreciate a little more, our meals together.

I turn 35 this year and I've noticed that it's getting harder and harder to retain my girlish figure. This could be a problem as chicks just don't dig on man-breasts like they used to. I'm starting to be more (gasp) responsible when it comes to my diet.

So, my darling bacon, I think we need to spend some time apart. We need to live our own lives. Maybe we can see each other in the future, if things (like me) work out.

Even still...there's nothing like good bacon...damn.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hey, Sexy!

I maintain a girlish figure myself, man boobs included.

The chicks dig it. They think of it as wealth indicating. Any man who can afford enough to eat must obviously be able to...afford enough to eat.

If you don't know what I mean, Google "16 year old mother of 1" and "Shettleston"
Anonymous said…
Mozo,

Don't leave me.

Eat me. Please!

Love,
Bacon
Mozo said…
Dearest Bacon,

I'm not leaving you. We're just spending some time apart.

We'll still get together every now and again, I just can't see you now... You know, too much of a good thing and all...

Don't be sad. I've really enjoyed our meals together. We'll see each other again, I promise.

All my drippy love,

Mozo